What did you have for a 'New Years Day' diner ? Jan 2, 2016 8:59:43 GMT -7
Post by JustJohn or JJ on Jan 2, 2016 8:59:43 GMT -7
WE had 8 people sitting at the table. On the menu was:
An 8 lb rib eye roast, boneless.
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Sweet baby peas
home baked baquets or French bread.
Not much left from diner. But, what is left will be made in Beef Storganof today. I haven't had that in a long time.
Beef (Tenderloin or Rib Eye roast remains) Stroganoff
Both my wife and my daughter make delicious versions of beef stroganoff and I often use their recipes, but this one is a bit luxurious with the use of beef and bourbon. I typically make this recipe when I buy a whole tenderloin 9or roast as I use the end pieces and uneven bits I get while trimming.
* 2 tbs olive oil
* 2 pounds beef, cut into 3″ long and “1 inch wide strips and patted dry
* 1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper
* 2 tbs butter
* 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
* 1 pound cremini or small white mushrooms, chopped roughly
* 1 cup beef broth
* 2 tbs bourbon
* 1 cup sour cream
* 2 tbs Dijon mustard
* 1 tbs flat leaf parsley, chopped
* Cooked wide egg noodles
1. Add olive oil to a large skillet over high heat until nearly smoking. Season meat with salt and pepper, then add to hot skillet and brown on all sides, about minutes. Place meat into a shallow baking dish for later use.
2. Melt butter in the skillet used for the meat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened and slightly golden, about 4 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes.
4. Add broth and bourbon and cook down until liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 15 minutes.
5. Incorporate the sour cream and mustard, combining well, then add the reserved meat and any juices from the baking pan. Continue cooking on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add parsley and re-season with salt and pepper if needed.
6. Serve over egg noodles.
Serves 4 to 6
Notes: I typically serve this dish over egg noodles, but some people like it over white rice. Nice alternative. I also like to add an additional dollop of sour cream to top off the dish at serving time.